The CCNR has published in cooperation with the European Commission a new format for the market [...]+ Read more
The Rhine axis constitutes the backbone of inland navigation in Europe. It links the largest seaports of Europe to their hinterland and to a large number of intermodal nodes.
More than two-thirds of all goods carried by European waterways are transported on the Rhine – Europe’s busiest waterway. The Rhine axis is also characterized by its high density of population and economic activity.
The Rhine is integrated into the Rhine-Alpine corridor of the trans-European transport network (TEN-T).+ Read more
The Po flows into the Adriatic Sea, forming a delta where several ports that are suitable for combined river and sea shipping are located.
Pure inland traffic accounts for about 80% of the total, with the remaining 20% being accounted for by river-sea traffic.
The Po is linked to the future Mediterranean corridor of the trans-European transport network (TEN-T).+ Read more
The Rhone/Saone axis provides access to the center of Western Europe through the Mediterranean region.
Even though the axis is not efficiently linked to the other Western European waterways, it offers interesting opportunities for inland navigation and intermodal transport in general.
Rhone and Saone are parts of the planned Mediterranean and North Sea-Mediterranean corridors of the trans-European transport network (TEN-T).+ Read more
The Elbe/Mittelland/Ems axis is an important part of the comprehensive inland waterway network in Europe. It also provides hinterland connections for seaports at the North and Baltic Sea.
While important traffic already takes place on the canals in the Ruhr region as well as on the Lower Elbe, navigation on the Middle and Upper Elbe still has considerable development potential.
The Elbe/Mittelland/Ems axis will be part of the planned North Sea-Baltic and Orient/East-Med corridors of the trans-European transport network (TEN-T).+ Read more
The Danube/Main axis connects Central Europe to the Rhine and the Black Sea. The Danube is the longest river in Central and Southeast Europe and the natural hinterland connection for several Black Sea ports.
Traffic on the Danube has repeatedly been affected by the wider historic context. With European integration supporting the region’s dynamic economic development also new perspectives for inland waterway transport are created.
The Danube/Main axis will form a backbone of the future Rhine-Danube corridor of the trans-European transport network (TEN-T).+ Read more
The Seine/Scheldt/Meuse axis is a main axis of inland navigation in Western Europe. The canals, rivers and river deltas in Northern France, Belgium and the Netherlands provide a dense network of hinterland connections for a number of large North Sea ports as well as links between them. Already high traffic on this axis could be further increased by establishing the missing Seine-Scheldt transit link. The Seine/Scheldt/Meuse axis will be relevant for several future corridors of the trans-European transport network (TEN-T), including the Atlantic, North Sea-Mediterranean and North Sea-Baltic corridor.+ Read more
There are a few peculiarities about shipping on the Thames axis because of geographical reasons.
Navigation on the Thames is characterized by a combination of maritime and inland shipping. Inland shipping mainly takes place in the form of intraport traffic within the Port of London.
The Thames is linked to the future North Sea-Mediterranean corridor of the trans-European transport network (TEN-T).+ Read more